This role is a newly created full-time position in Surrey, BC.
A career at Fraser Health will offer you the opportunity to work in a fast growing and exciting organization with professionals who are eminent in their respective fields. We offer a competitive salary package, including comprehensive health benefits coverage.
We are responsible for the delivery of hospital and community-based health services to over 1.8 million people in 20 diverse communities from Burnaby to Fraser Canyon on the traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples.
Our team of nearly 40,000 staff, medical staff and volunteers is dedicated to serving our patients, families and communities to deliver on our vision: Better health, best in health care.
Be a part of our dedicated team of health care providers in this dynamic and rewarding role!
Reporting to the Manager, Clinical Operations, coordinates the daily operation of the designated Public Health program within a local community and FH regional structure in accordance with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM) standards of practice and the program established guidelines and requirements. Maintains program policies, procedures, guidelines and standards including monitoring activity, supporting staff, clients and collaborative team building. Supervises designated staff; orientates, trains and evaluates staff performance and plans for ongoing staff training needs: assists the Manager with administrative activities. Participates on program and professional committees, facilitates the resolution of issues and/or to advocate for the goals and objectives of the program. Provides direct nursing care as required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates the daily operation of the designated Public Health program. Ensures staff adherence to the program model, policies, procedures, guidelines and standards.
- Supervises staff and coordinates the work of designated staff on a day-to-day basis; observes work and corrects where necessary, monitors the quality of care and the safety of clients/patients, assigns and adjusts work assignments, schedules and coordinates staff, monitors and may authorize staff hours of work, including overtime, vacations, leave requests, ensuring service levels and staffing requirements are met.
- Supports quality patient care and excellence in practice by promoting inter-professional collaboration and team building, supporting staff to plan and carry out care plans or client/family education regarding preventative health and health maintenance, acting as a mentor and resource to staff, role modeling best clinical practices, assessing clinical skills and by coaching staff and/or liaising with other health professional leaders to help them achieve established clinical and programmatic performance goals.
- Initiates, leads and supports regular reflective practice supervision; conducts field visits and provides/supports regular care conferences and team meetings; supports collaborative team building.
- Identifies learning requirements of staff and, in conjunction with the Manager, Educator and other members of the clinical team, provides input into the development of learning objectives; provides clinical support and guidance and evaluates the effectiveness of learning opportunities. Delivers program specific training as required.
- Provides input into the development of a comprehensive orientation program, in collaboration with the Educator and other clinical staff.
- Participates in or leads the investigation of complaints by patients/families; follows up on complaints and implements corrective action as appropriate. Collaborates with Quality Improvement according to established protocols.
- Participates in quality improvement and risk management activities by methods such as evaluating effect of changes in practice, generating recommendations for alternative approaches to practices, conducting safety audits, and supporting implementation of teaching/learning when required.
- Supports and ensures timely and accurate data input and utilization of the electronic health records and other reports available through the program.
- Assists the Manager/Director by attending panel interviews, providing recommendations on the selection of new staff, providing feedback to the Manager on staff performance appraisals, and providing feedback on optimal use of budgetary resources and minor and capital equipment needs as requested.
- Promotes staff awareness and involvement in research/evaluation activities and special projects and participates in research and special projects as appropriate.
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders; facilitates and maintains community referral sources for the program; participates on a variety of designated professional or operational committees at the unit, hospital, program and/or regional level.
- Participates in the review, development, implementation and evaluation of evidence-informed clinical decision support tools/policies.
- Provides direct nursing care by assuming responsibility for a client caseload as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Graduation from an approved school of nursing including public health nursing component. Three (3) years' recent, related/relevant Public Health nursing experience, including one (1) year of recent supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Completion of post graduate course work and/or certification applicable to the designated clinical area.
Valid Class V B.C. Driver's licence and have access to personal vehicle for business related purposes.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Public Health Nursing Discipline Specific Competencies.
- Clinical proficiency/expertise in the designated clinical area.
- Ability to supervise and provide leadership and work direction.
- Ability to coordinate client/patient assignments, in collaboration with staff.
- Ability to monitor staff workload and client/patient factors and adjust client/patient assignments accordingly.
- Ability to monitor the quality of client/patient care and ensure maintenance of standards for nursing practice and nursing support staff.
- Ability to monitor, assess and address performance issues based on professional standards of practice, and to provide input to the Manager on formal performance reviews.
- Ability to role model, coach and mentor best practices in client/patient care.
- Ability to identify individual or group learning priorities to meet identified program, organizational and learner needs, in collaboration with other clinical staff.
- Ability to support implementation of education based on changing practices e.g. legislation and technology.
- Demonstrated teaching skills.
- Ability to provide input into budgets and minor and capital equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and in an organized and self directed manner.
- Ability to problem-solve and effectively deal with conflict situations.
- Ability to operate related equipment, including personal computers and related software.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
More search results
OPERATING ROOM REGISTERED NURSE
Interior Health - 338528
RN/RPN, Substance Use Services (Surrey)
Fraser Health Inc.
Communicable Disease Control Nurse Coordinator (R…
Fraser Health Authority
Clinical Information Specialist, Public Health (R…
Fraser Health Authority
Licensed Practical Nurse, Primary Care (part Time)