Clinical Information Specialist, Public Health (RN)
Looking for a job that will allow you to combine your clinical expertise and knowledge in information systems? We have the position for you! We can offer an exciting opportunity for a Clinical Information Specialist (RN) with our Population & Public Health Informatics Program. This role is a temporary full-time position.
A career at Fraser Health will offer you the opportunity to work in a fast growing and exciting organization with professionals who are eminent in their respective fields. We offer a competitive salary package, including comprehensive health benefits coverage.
We are responsible for the delivery of hospital and community-based health services to over 1.8 million people in 20 diverse communities from Burnaby to Fraser Canyon on the traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples.
Our team of nearly 40,000 staff, medical staff and volunteers is dedicated to serving our patients, families and communities to deliver on our vision: Better health, best in health care.
Be a part of our dedicated team of health care providers in this dynamic and rewarding role!
Reporting to the Manager, Technology Planning & Integration, conducts business system reviews and participates in developing information systems and information management processes. Accountable for developing policies and processes that support electronic documentation of personal health information and public health prevention information. Assists with developing strategies to reduce dependence on paper-based personal health information and documentation. Supports Public Health staff, through training and education, in the use and update of electronic and paper-based clinical information and works collaboratively with other team members in leading the development and recommendation of best practice models for service delivery in this area. Represents Public Health at assigned internal and provincial task groups and committees, such as Panorama provincial work-group committees.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts business systems reviews and needs assessments for Public Health in the uptake and adoption of electronic and paper-based health information.
- Trains front-line staff and clinicians in the practice standards and use of new and existing electronic health information systems and the effective use of existing paper-based health information systems, in an effort to promote transition to electronic systems, while maintaining BCCNM documentation standards across Public Health.
- Identifies innovative approaches and standards for information capture, storage, and retrieval that ensures the management of, and secures access to, personal electronic and paper-based health information.
- Supports the development of the electronic health record by identifying opportunities to move to electronic health information capture and distribution. Maintains an authority-wide view of systems that support the adoption of the electronic health record. Works with end-users to reduce dependence on paper-based health information and to develop new, more efficient, approaches to paper-based health information.
- Participates in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs to meet the learning needs of electronic and paper-based health information system users. Educates new users and encourages continuing education of users relative to issues such as system upgrades and new functionality.
- Facilitates, develops, coordinates, supports, implements, and evaluates regional information management/information system standards, processes, and procedures.
- Provides leadership to front line staff in the use of electronic and paper-based information management systems and the successful integration of both. Collects and brings forward operational issues for discussion and makes recommendations on changes.
- Identifies and participates in information management planning and processes. Serves as a resource to Information Services regarding clinical information, documentation practice, and electronic and paper-based health information.
- Provides leadership in the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of electronic health information system dictionaries, databases, tables, reports, and related standards, protocols, and procedures to support clinical uptake of the electronic health records as practice transitions away from paper-based records.
- Develops and maintains processes to ensure personal information quality and integrity within electronic and paper-based health information systems.
- Keeps current of changes in clinical business practices and determines related information needs and system changes. Liaises with clinicians, outside health care agencies, and educational institutions to identify innovative opportunities for furthering the development of electronic health information needs as practice transitions away from paper-based records.
- Maintains departmental reports and records. Collects statistical information on workload measurements, department activity, quality assurance including system audits, and clinical use on a determined schedule or requested basis.
- Participates on assigned internal and external committees, as required, including chairing assigned working groups within Fraser Health (FH) and participating on provincial committees for the ongoing development and implementation of Panorama and other Public Health data systems.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training, and Experience
Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Four (4) years of clinical experience in Public Health (Health Promotion and Prevention) inclusive of one (1) years experience in a teaching or project role, supplemented by courses in computer software technology, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Experience with teaching related to electronic Public Health information systems, such as the iPHIS system, is preferred.
Valid BC Driver's licence and access to personal vehicle for business related purposes.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronic health information systems such as the IPHIS, DRIS, and other public health information systems.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work effectively within a multi-site environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to consult, plan, organize, implement, and problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to educate adults including the development of training materials.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with others.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment including related computer software.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.