Registered Nurses - Critical Care, Intensive Care Units and Emergency Departments
- Nova Scotia Health
- Nova Scotia- Various Locations
- Req ID: 151900
- Job Category
- Job Type
Req ID: 151900
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Various Sites and Community-Based Locations Throughout Nova Scotia
Department: Intensive Care Units (ICU), Intermediate Intensive Care Units (IMCU) and Emergency Departments across the Province.
Type of Employment: Permanent, temporary and casual positions available
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there's a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with an Nova Scotia Health role means you'll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out www.novascotia.com to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
About the Opportunity
Are you interested in a Critical Care Nursing career with Nova Scotia Health? We would love to hear from you! We are currently accepting Registered Nurse applications for positions with Intensive Care Units (ICU), Intermediate Intensive Care Units (IMCU) and Emergency Departments across the Province.
Registered Nurses are a vital resource in our healthcare system. We are seeking experienced Critical Care RN’s from across Canada to join our growing organization and experience life on the East Coast. You will work with a team of medical professionals under a collaborative care model, who strive to improve patient care throughout Nova Scotia. We have flexible scheduling, innovative leaders, opportunities for education and advancement and a welcoming environment!
We are accepting applications through this advertisement, and a recruiter will be in touch after you apply to discuss your background and preferences and connect you to ICU/IMCU or Emergency Department opportunities within our organization. During the application process you will be able to declare which specialty you are interested in pursuing.
Intensive Care Units (ICU)
The Intensive Care Unit Nurse is responsible for the overall coordination and direction of nursing care within an ICU. The RN provides clinical leadership, particularly in complex or unpredictable patient/client care settings. The RN has the knowledge, skill and judgment needed to provide competent, evidence-based nursing practice to the critically ill patient. Duties of an ICU Nurse can include providing medical attention to patients, identifying and evaluating sudden or subtle changes to a patient’s condition, administering treatment, providing Physicians and family members with regular updates and providing recovery support.
The Emergency Room Nurse works as part of the interdisciplinary team and is responsible for providing care to a diverse patient population. The Registered Nurse will have patient experiences across the spectrum of all acute and emergency care. They are often the first medical professionals an injured or sick patient sees after being admitted to an Emergency Department and collaborate with other healthcare providers, including Doctors, Technicians, Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. They monitor vital signs, administer medication and prepare patients for treatment.
What We Offer
- Up to $15,000 in incentives available (signing bonus, relocation)
- Competitive compensation
- Enrollment in the Provincial Pension Plan
- Variety of available shifts
- Continuous Clinical Education & Support
- Opportunity for advancement within the organization
Successful candidates may also be eligible for a signing bonus and relocation assistance for a return of service commitment.
We want to hear from you if you have the following:
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing
- Completion of an approved Critical Care Course/Critical Care Certificate/CCNP and/or one year experience in critical care required for ICU/IMCU positions
- Completion of an approved Emergency Nursing Program or Canadian Nurses Association Emergency Nursing Certification required for Emergency Department positions.
- One (1) year full-time Critical Care experience required
- Three to five years of acute care nursing experience preferred
- Specific experience in a specialty area may be required (eg: Cardiovascular, Med/Surg Neuro)
- BLS (HCP) certification required
Other certifications may be required such as:
- Other certifications may be required such as:
- CTAS (Canadian Triage and Acuity Scale)
- EPICC – Foundations (Emergency Practice, Interventions and Care – Canada)
- ACLS – Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
- PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support); EPICC – Pediatrics (Emergency Practice, Interventions and Care – Canada) or ENPC (Emergency Nurses Pediatric Course)
- Trauma course – EPICC - Trauma (Emergency Practice, Interventions and Care – Canada); Rural Trauma Program or TNCC (Trauma Nursing Core Course)
- Willingness to obtain within 2 years of hire may be considered in some facilities
Compensation and Benefits Package
NSNU Registered Nurse:
$35.21 - $41.48 hourly
$42.93 hourly with 25 years' experience
NSGEU Registered Nurse:
$35.03 - $41.41 hourly
$42.86 hourly with 25 years' experience
Successful candidates may be eligible for our benefits package which includes health, dental, travel, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage as well as a defined benefit pension plan.
Hours and Locations
Various permanent, assignments (temporary) and casual relief (no guarantee of hours) available in various locations throughout Nova Scotia. Shifts may include days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
You will be asked to specify your work hours, unit/specialty and location preferences in the screening questions that follow once you click 'Apply now >>'.
Check out the below links to learn more about our facilities, zones and communities:
- Facility Profiles
- Central Zone (Halifax Regional Municipality, Eastern Shore and West Hants areas)
- Western Zone (Annapolis Valley, South West and South Shore areas)
- Northern Zone (Colchester, Cumberland and Pictou County areas)
- Eastern Zone (Cape Breton, Antigonish and Guysborough areas)
Please refer to our ‘Locations’ page for more detailed information on our facilities, http://www.nshealth.ca/locations and https://www.novascotia.com/map for more detailed information on the surrounding communities
Once You've Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Nursing bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Preferred candidates must be able to demonstrate proof of primary series of COVID -19 vaccine at time of hire.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Foreign Nationals/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.
More search results
New Career Opportunities for Perioperative Nurses…
Interior Health - 338528
New Career Opportunities for Perinatal Nurses! (W…
Interior Health - 338528
New Career Opportunities for Emergency Nurses! (W…
Interior Health - 338528
New Career Opportunities for Long-Term Care Nurse…
Interior Health - 338528
Vancouver Island University