Director, Nursing - Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Director, Nursing - Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Administration - Regular
Located within Health Sciences Faculty at Coquitlam Campus of Douglas College. Travel between Coquitlam and New Westminster Campuses is required on an occasional basis. Frequent external meetings off campus. Travel may be required on occasion.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
This position is responsible for the overall leadership, strategic planning, operations, evaluation and collaborative management of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program. The individual in this position provides academic leadership ensuring alignment with academic policies and professional standards. The individual in this position assumes responsibility for the ongoing quality assurance and development of the nursing program. The individual in this position acts as a primary representative of the Douglas College BSN program, ensuring strong linkages and partnerships with both internal and external communities.
The individual in this position has the authority to assess, plan, implement and evaluate strategic operational matters, after appropriate consultation, and within the scope of their positional responsibilities.
II. Planning and Development
1. Develops strategic plans, including educational plans, for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program (BSN), in collaboration with Program Coordinators.
2. Liaises with BSN Coordinators to conjointly develop the BSN strategic plan in alignment with the Douglas College and Health Sciences strategic plans.
3. Develops following Douglas College policy, procedures, and collective agreements educational and BSN Nursing faculty staffing plans.
4. Oversees educational program development and coordination and in conjunction with BSN, Coordinators plans curriculum quality assurance processes.
5. Develops operating structures, policies, procedures for the BSN Program (both internal and external) and manages the process for approval of departmental procedures and/or guidelines.
6. Oversees development of overall BSN marketing and communication strategy in collaboration with Coordinators.
7. Collaborates with Health Science administrators and BSN Nursing Department Coordinators to plan professional development opportunities for BSN Nursing faculty and related personnel.
8. Identifies faculty requiring evaluation under the DCFA Collective Agreement and coordinates with the Dean and Associate Dean to implement the process.
9. Assesses and plans, in conjunction with BSN program coordinators, processes related to compliance, approval, and accreditation of the BSN program.
10. Oversees enrolment management and retention strategies plan in conjunction with BSN program coordinators.
11. Develops and oversees program evaluation strategies for BSN program indicators in collaboration with BSN program coordinators.
12. Provides future-oriented and innovative solutions-oriented focus to BSN planning and development.
13. In collaboration with BSN Curriculum Coordinator and CE Manager reviews and strategically develops new credit and non-credit program offerings as determined by demand and future trends
14. Develops a mechanism for tracking relevant data related to the overall BSN educational process.
15. Identifies and plans for emerging trends and issues in BSN education assessing potential and actual influence on the program.
16. Presents developmental plans to Dean for discussion and approval processes in a timely and effective manner.
III. Operations and Liaison
1. Provides overall leadership and management related to the implementation of the BSN department strategic plan.
2. Manages and implements faculty staffing procedures to ensure adequate operational staffing.
3. Provides oversight for all operational issues influencing best practices and an effective student-centred educational process.
4. Provides operational oversight for all operational issues influencing best practices and outcomes related to educational program development.
5. Liaises with Practice Placement Coordinators in the assessment, planning and acquisition of clinical placements for BSN students.
6. Provides oversight on all matters related to BSN budget in a fiscally responsible manner and consults with Dean and Financial managers in a timely and effective manner.
7. Oversees all matters related to recognition, approval, and accreditation of the BSN program.
8. Provides oversight and review of all published materials relating to the BSN program.
9. Promotes BSN program on a local, regional, national and international scale in alignment with departmental priorities and fiscal resources.
10. Liaises with Douglas College departments that provide support and service to BSN students in matters affecting BSN program operations. This includes but is not limited to Continuing Education Health Sciences (CE Manager, CE Coordinators), Experiential Manager, Experiential Coordinator, Learning Strategy Coordinator and other Health Sciences Coordinators as appropriate.
11. Represents the BSN program on all internal and external committees with direct or indirect influence on program operations.
12. Provides strategic direction on matters relating to the scholarly activity related to teaching and learning.
13. Completes and/or oversee activities related to documentation and tracking required by legislation, policy, or procedures related to the BSN program.
14. Participates in external educational activities with identified external stakeholders, as appropriate to the role.
15. Completes all operational and liaison responsibilities in a timely and effective manner.
16. Meets all internal and external deadlines, as required.
IV. Evaluation and Quality Assurance
Provides oversight on all quality assurance and evaluation processes to ensure that implemented activities meet intended strategic outcomes.
Interprets program evaluation data and collaborate with BSN program coordinators to develop a continuous quality improvement process.
Evaluates and reviews all outcomes modifying plans and implementation, as required.
Develops and maintains documentation related to planned intended outcomes.
Ensures a systematic review and revision of plans based evaluation of plan against intended outcomes with an emphasis on student-centred and engagement implementation priorities.
Completes all evaluation and quality assurance processes and procedures in a timely and effective manner.
Participates in departmental, college, and external activities (including professional development) related to quality assurance in alignment with learning community and BSN Department program priorities.
V. Other Related Duties
Performs other related duties, as required.
Health Sciences Council
Health Sciences Administrative Committee
Chair BSN Departmental Coordinator committee
BSN Program Advisory Committee.
BSN Departmental Committees as appropriate.
Other Douglas College Committees/External Stakeholder Committees as appropriate.
External Committees (NECBC) of strategic importance to the BSN department
Reports to the Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences.
Provides leadership and supervision to BSN Coordinators and faculty.
Represents the Douglas College BSN Program to all internal and external stakeholders.
Serves on Douglas College Internal and External Committees as commensurate with the scope of positional responsibilities.
Consult and liaises, as appropriate with Program Coordinators/delegates representing Health Science Departments.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
A Bachelor’s degree in nursing and a Master’s degree in a related field (both required). PhD highly preferred.
2. Current BCCNM practising registration (or eligibility) in good standing.
3. A minimum of five years’ experience in nursing practice with knowledge of diverse health care systems and organizations.
4. A minimum of seven years experience in post-secondary nursing education in theory and clinical education with an understanding of the educational experiences of undergraduate students. Combinations of alternate extensive professional, teaching and leadership experience may be considered by Selections Committee
5. A minimum of three years of administrative experience, preferably in an educational institution.
6. Demonstrated ability to:
· understand and effectively apply relevant educational and administrative policies and collective agreement provisions if required;
· develop departmental teams in a collaborative manner
· participate in external activities of benefit to the BSN program
· plan, operationalize, and evaluate evidence-based best practices in maintenance and development educational programs;
· understand and develop programs in a collaboration that address future trends in nursing and health care
· assess, plan, and manage departmental budgets, inclusive of alignment with staffing resources;
· manage faculty selection processes;
· proactively manage faculty related issues in an educational setting;
· provide leadership, collaborate with and contribute effectively to a professional team and demonstrate excellent conflict management and resolution skills;
· communicate professionally with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including excellent presentation skills;
· develop written materials including scholarly documents and report writing;
· apply best practices including scholarship activities related to educational programs;
· translate complex material to diverse stakeholder groups;
· develop solutions-oriented approaches to complex situations;
· manage multiple projects in a timely and effective manner.
Your skillset includes overall strong leadership, collaboration, strategic planning, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Special Instructions To Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online on the Douglas College Career Site [www.douglascollegecareers.ca]. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
Link to Full Position Profile