Mental Health Emergency Services Nurse (RN RPN)
- Vancouver Coastal Health
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- $34.83 - $45.73 per hour
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness, Nursing/Healthcare
- Job Type
HEALTH CARE JOBS WITH A WORLD-CLASS INNOVATOR IN MEDICAL CARE, RESEARCH, & TEACHING
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) delivers services to more than 1 million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver’s North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Corridor, Sunshine Coast, Bella Bella, Bella Coola, the Central Coast and surrounding areas. The remarkable range of jobs & specialties places VCH at the forefront of career destinations for Registered Nurses, Sonographers, Social Workers, Physiotherapists, and many other health care professionals. Our amazing jobs, workforce, and remarkable organizational culture ensure that VCH is always promoting better heath for our communities through innovation and exceptional care. Come join our team!
Within the context of a client and family centred care model and in accordance with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) standards of professional practice and Code of Ethics for registered nurses or registered psychiatric nurses, and the established vision and values of the organization, provides psychiatric care to clients that includes assessment, crisis intervention and stabilization, care planning and short term community case management and outreach.. Provides liaison support for patient care and patient flow between the program, Emergency Department, the Psychiatric Inpatient Unit, first responders and community providers. Provides input into the care of psychiatric patients awaiting transfer for further assessment or inpatient admission. Provides emergency mobile crisis response as required; facilitates immediate hospital or detox facility admission if deemed necessary; initiates and participates in case conferences and case management meetings; prepares and maintains client records; and provides consultative and direct services/care to clients, families, community health professionals/agencies, law enforcement, physicians and Emergency Room staff. Participates in team meetings, continuing education, conferences, and/or corporate initiatives and engages in on-going team planning, development, evaluation and quality improvement activities.
PEAT (Psychiatric Emergency Assessment & Triage) is a co-managed space in the VGH Emergency Department for assessing and triaging ED clients who present with MHSU conditions.
We currently have openings for a Mental Health Emergency Services Nurse at Vancouver General Hospital in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Please click the links below to view the job descriptions:
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Three (3) years’ recent related experience providing treatment services to individuals within the designated client population with mental health and substance use issues or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to clients with severe and persistent psychiatric illness:
- Demonstrated knowledge of concurrent disorders, substance use and abuse, harm reduction strategies including assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of conceptual models of psychiatric care including: person and family centered care, trauma-informed care, recovery model in mental illness and psychosocial rehabilitation methodology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of impact of social, cultural and family systems on health outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments and interventions such as facilitating group process, conflict resolution, crisis interventions, individual and group counselling.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans and anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and delivery of educational programs and materials for clients and families based on education theories, principles and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to model and mentor new staff and students.
- Demonstrated skill in performing autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated client population.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Please click here to view the job postings.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.
More search results
Field and Infusion Nurse RN
Innomar Strategies Inc.
Infusion Nurse - Part Time Casual LPN
Innomar Strategies Inc.
Bayshore Home Health
Infusion Nurse (RN)
Innomar Strategies Inc.
Registered Nurse, Emergency - Specialty Qualified…
Fraser Health Inc.