Psyciatric Nurse - Team Lead
Psychiatric Nurse - Clinical Team Lead
$84,480 - $96,000
Monday to Friday 8am–4 pm occasional evenings
About the Facility
Koby House is a privately funded, family directed intensive outpatient treatment home for a 16-year-old female with complex developmental and mental health needs, who exhibits challenging behaviors.
Koby House, the family’s home, is situated on Salt Spring Island with the staff residence 4 km off site. Salt Spring Island is truly a nature lovers’ paradise! With spectacular coastal and pastoral scenery and the moderate climate, a variety of activities can be comfortably pursued all months of the year. From leisurely walks along, pristine beaches to challenging uphill hikes, the vistas, flora and fauna are always inspiring.
The primary goal of the program is to successfully support this individual in her return to the community and her family home through; increasing functional skills and abilities, reducing the positive and negative symptoms of psychiatric illness, increasing coping strategies to mitigate treatment resistant psychiatric symptoms, minimizing challenging behaviours, increasing social interconnections, strengthening familial ties, improving physical health and wellness.
Our employees love the close-knit team environment and the commitment to work-life balance, which includes a 40-hour work week, three weeks of vacation to start, and half-days off before each long weekend. We offer leading starting salary and benefits plan, which includes either housing or housing credit, educational reimbursements and leadership development support for those interested in furthering their professional growth. To top it off, each employee receives an additional $100 each year towards their RRSP in recognition of their birthday and anniversary.
Job Duties Included, but are not limited to:
- Evaluation of physical, mental and emotional status
- Application of crisis intervention and stabilization principles
- Application of common screening tools for mental illness
- Establishing therapeutic relationships
- Assisting patient/client in managing behaviours
- Establishing short and long-term health goals
- Assessing and describing the patient/client’s readiness to participate in the treatment program.
- Medication management – oral, intramuscular, subcutaneous
- Explaining care plan to the patient/client and family
- Conducting planned nursing interventions
- Providing guidance and direction to staff as required
- Initiating measures to relieve crisis or emergent situations
- Teaching self/home care skills to the patient/client and/or family members
- Participation in senior planning team to identify, implement and evaluate quality improvement actions
- Evaluate client response to mental health interventions – modifying interventions as appropriate
- Initiation of multidisciplinary team evaluation of patient/client mental health ca
The successful applicant will have:
·Graduated from a recognized nursing program. Current practicing registration with CRNBC or CRPNBC.
·Baccalaureate degree is an asset.
·Canadian Nursing Association certification an asset.
·A minimum of two (2) years recent experience working with persons with acute mental illness, including working with multi-disciplinary teams, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
·Working knowledge of relevant legislation. Knowledge of the Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing (2nd ed.).
·Current CPR Basic Rescuer certification
Preference may be given to applicants who have one or more of the following certificates
Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® Foundation Course with Advanced Physical Skills.
Crisis and Trauma Response Certificate Program
Somatic Experiencing Certification
Candidate must also have
A reliable vehicle and class 5 driver’s licence
Proof of current First Aid/CPR
Experience working with Youth
Exceptional working references
Clean background check
Doctors note confirming suitability for job responsibilities
Basic computer knowledge e.g. access internet, Microsoft office, etc.