Manager Advanced Nursing Practice
- City of Toronto
- $109,600.40 - $128,765.00 / Year
- Job Category
- Job Type
Manager Advanced Nursing Practice
Job Classification Title MANAGER ADVANCED NURSING PRACTICE
Requisition # 2306919 X
Division Long-Term Care Homes & Services
Section Resident Care and Services
Work Location 365 BLOOR STREET EAST, 15TH FLOOR
Job Location Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Job Stream Health
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $109,600.40 - $128,765.00 / Year
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 Hours/Week
Number of Positions Open 1
Posting Date 06-Jul-2018
Expiry date 23-Jul-2018
Reporting to the Director, Resident Care & Services, the successful candidate will provide nursing clinical service leadership, facilitate advanced clinical care, research, education, consultation and collaboration in order to develop, execute, facilitate and sustain scholarly nursing practice. To maintain accountability for standardized clinical best practice, implement policies and procedures that meet/exceed legislative requirements, and to shape the strategic direction of clinical programs, as well as advocate for the scholarly gerontological care with internal and external stakeholders within the health care system.
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies regarding program-specific requirements.
- Manages, motivates and trains the unit’s staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day-to-day operation of all assigned staff, including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work.
- Authorizes and controls vacation and overtime requests.
- Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual budget for the unit, and ensures that the unit’s expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Provides expert knowledge to advance nursing care practices and meet the needs of residents and families in collaboration with the Director, Resident Care & Services.
- Assumes a leadership role within the Division to develop solutions/resident care service delivery models that provide exceptional resident/family-centred care.
- Supports a sharing of decision-making processes with the home-level nursing leadership team and uses a coaching model, taking accountability for actions while promoting trusted partnerships with all divisional homes.
- Collaborates with the home-level nursing leadership team to ensure the implementation and sustainability of exemplary clinical practices and to identify areas of opportunity for advancing nursing care excellence.
- Leads nursing clinical program development, in collaboration with the Director, Resident Care & Services and the inter-professional leadership team.
- Provides nursing clinical consultation and support to an assigned group of long-term care homes within the Division.
- Coaches, mentors and guides practice advancement and skills development for the nursing leadership team through the development of formal divisional nursing education programs based on identified needs, current research, and divisional priorities.
- Encourages and models critical clinical inquiry that drives the development of nursing research and improves resident care outcomes.
- Contributes to the improvement of clinical outcomes based on best available evidence and efficient utilization of resources.
- Conducts audits and/or investigations on high-risk nursing care issues and/or evaluation of the nursing department effectiveness and compliance with standards, including legislative/regulatory requirements, divisional policies and procedures; provides feedback and recommendations for corrective action and coaching for improvement.
- Monitors critical incident reports; provides direction and advice to homes on actions to minimize risks and to inform the Director, Resident Care & Services about high-risk situations in the Division.
- Collaborates on resident safety and risk, infection prevention and control management issues and the development of improvement plans to address shortfalls.
- Monitors, collates and evaluates home-level clinical performance data quarterly, including RAI data reports; identifies and evaluates trends, outcomes; analyzes variances and resource needs; collaborates with nursing leadership and/or inter-professional teams to develop and implement action plans for ongoing improvement.
- Develops and facilitates implementation of divisional nursing clinical program education.
- Oversees the modernization and transformation of health care records.
- Contributes to procurement and contract development and implementations, as required, for divisional functions related to nursing operations.
- Reviews and updates policies and procedures related to nursing operations and practices.
- Monitors and maintains current knowledge of relevant legislation/regulations and remains abreast of nursing innovative practices.
- Coordinates and plans meetings, in-service training and educational sessions to improve nursing leadership and clinical skills within assigned homes.
- Ensures that the Director, Resident Care & Services and the General Manager are informed and prepares reports related to all areas of risk, including recommendations and commendations for excellence.
- Leads and/or participates in internal committees (e.g. Division’s quality improvement and Multidisciplinary Care & Services Committees) to champion clinical excellence within the Division.
- Represents the Division on external committee on programming and policy issues.
- Acts as the designated technical lead for the Division’s Nursing Practice and Personal Care in collaboration with the Director, Resident Care & Services.
- Current Certificate of Competence in good standing from the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO).
- Baccalaureate of Science in Nursing from a recognized University School of Nursing with demonstrated continuous professional nursing leadership development; or a Master's degree in Nursing is preferred.
- Extensive experience in developing and delivering adult education/curriculum.
- Extensive experience in clinical quality improvement and change management
- Extensive experience in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of nursing clinical programs and services provided to residents, including people with disabilities, mental health and other complex medical needs.
- Considerable long-term care clinical management experience with a major public or private sector organization in the long-term care, acute care or continuing care/rehabilitation field.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, codes, collective agreements and policies such as the Residents’ Bill of Rights, Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, Long-Term Care Homes Act (O.Reg.79/10), College of Nurses of Ontario and any other pertinent legislation that influences the operation of a long-term care home.
- Knowledge of Resident Assessment Instrument – Minimum Data Set (RAI-MDS) 2.0.
- Ability to promote and foster effective teamwork and establish excellence in a customer service-oriented environment.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and partnerships with a diverse range of stakeholders as well as work effectively within interprofessional teams.
- Ability to influence others and establish credibility with all levels of the organization, challenging the status quo and being a catalyst for positive change.
- Effective critical thinking, analytical decision-making, and problem-resolution skills and the ability to distill complex information into clear, concise messages.
- Proficiency in the use of various computer applications, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and demands in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to coach, mentor and motivate diverse nursing leadership teams in a unionized environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
- As a condition of employment with the Long-Term Care Homes & Services Division, selected candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Police Reference Check (PRC) with vulnerable sector screening, tuberculosis screening and proof of immunization in accordance with the Long-Term Care Homes Act (O.Reg.79/10).
- Successful candidate may be required to travel to off-site locations periodically.
- All applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Manager, Advanced Nursing Practice within our Long-Term Care Homes and Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2306919 X, by July 23, 2018.
Accommodation: If you are an individual who requires accommodation, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, to apply for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting job ID # 2306919 X and the job classification title MANAGER ADVANCED NURSING PRACTICE. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.