Alberta Health Services (AHS) has a unique opportunity for an experienced and innovative health care professional in the position of Unit Manager, Operating Room. As the largest healthcare provider in Canada, AHS has an exceptional scope of service and this position will include managing large-scale integration, continuous improvement, process re-engineering and innovation to deliver on a commitment to excellence and enhanced performance. This exciting career advancement position offers a unique opportunity to participate in the further development of a progressive surgical program within the existing Queen Elizabeth II Hospital while planning for occupancy and service delivery in our new Grande Prairie Regional Hospital that is currently under construction with a targeted opening date of late 2019. Surgical services currently provided include: Urology, Orthopedics, ENT, General, Gynecology, Dental and Ophthalmology Surgery and will expand to include Bariatric and Plastics, as well as support for the new cancer center, including radiation therapy. Grande Prairie is located in northwest Alberta and is a growing city with over 65,000 residents and serving approximately 260,000 people. Outdoor and indoor recreation opportunities are available at the numerous parks and golf courses, in addition to a state of the art recreation facility. The city also has a vibrant arts and culture community with an art gallery, a few museums, live theatre and a multitude of dining and shopping opportunities. We have something for everyone!
In addition to a competitive rate of pay, AHS currently has a Remote Retention Allowance in place to an annual maximum of $3,000. This allowance is non-pensionable and is payable on an hourly basis for all hours paid at the basic rate of pay.
As the Unit Manager, your responsibilities will include the leadership of the Operating Room (OR), Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) and the OR Booking Office while reporting to the Patient Care Director. You will coordinate and provide leadership in the daily operation and delivery of services, develop and recommend the operational plan for designated areas and identify training needs. You will also ensure skill maintenance programs are provided to staff, monitor and ensure compliance with budgetary guidelines, and provides day-to-day supervision of nursing and support staff within the units. You will promote and implement a management process based on program management with extensive delegation to staff and assess the effectiveness of programs and activities on the basis of quantifiable outcomes. You will also promote quality improvement strategies and methodologies to staff and collaboratively resolve the allocation of resources and other conflicts with other members of the portfolio staff. This position is currently responsible for the management of nursing and support staff working in 7 OR theatres and 6 Post Anesthesia recovery Unit (PACU) bays. The OR department currently services the elective, urgent, trauma and emergent surgical needs of adult and pediatric patients in Grande Prairie, north western Alberta and north eastern British Columbia.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing.
- Active or eligible for registration and practice permit with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA).
- Perioperative Nursing Certification.
- 5 years of current Operating Room nursing experience.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support - Health Care Provider (BCLS-HCP).
- Master of Nursing.
- Operating Room management experience.
- Ability to engender a cooperative work environment and spirit and actively listen to patients, staff and physicians to gain understanding and represent their views.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills, as well as initiative and flexibility.
- A commitment to foster professional growth and effectiveness of unit personnel.
- Strong commitment to the maintenance and improvement of the health of residents.
How to Apply: