Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops is seeking a permanent full time Manager, Women’s and Children’s Services to join their team!
The Manager, Women’s and Children’s Services is responsible for providing leadership and direction for the operations, management, utilization, risk management, and quality improvement within this portfolio. The Manager applies management theory and concepts to leading, staffing, monitoring, evaluating, and data-gathering including the development of relevant outcome measures pertinent to the clinical areas. The Manager is accountable for efficient, effective utilization of approved physical, financial, and human resources; for guiding and coordinating activities of the areas in accordance with professional standards; and supporting the goals and strategic direction of Interior Health (IH).
Interior Health offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes:
- 4 weeks’ vacation
- Insurance premiums paid by Interior Health
- Medical Services Plan
- Extended Health Coverage
- Dental Health Coverage
- Pension Plan
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership for clinical practice by seeking out and identifying best practices in patient care ensuring the appropriate structures, system processes, and culture are in place to facilitate ongoing development of a best practice model of care.
- Evaluates effectiveness of care provided and seeks mechanisms to ensure that standards are met consistently. Responds to patient care issues and public concerns in a supportive and goal-oriented manner, facilitating communication to affect positive outcomes.
- Facilitates and directs the development, implementation, and evaluation of unit-specific goals and objectives, standards, and policies, ensuring consistency with the established standards and objectives of the services within IH.
- Maintains fiscal accountability by collecting and monitoring necessary fiscal and utilization data and analyzes data appropriately. Ensures effective use of resources in the service area. Monitors the budget, identifies variances, and takes corrective action as required to maintain expenditures within the approved budgets.
- Participates in the development and implementation of the local quality improvement and risk management initiatives for acute care services in accordance with IH standards and processes.
- Analyzes current trends and data in the assigned area of responsibility related to the provision of accessible, comprehensive, efficient, and effective service/care.
- Participates, as part of the local management team, in coordinating the utilization of shared resources including services, equipment, and space with other departments of the health site, as well as with other sites in the Health Services Area.
- Acts as a change agent within the service fostering an environment of innovation and critical thinking.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members in planning and providing effective and efficient care within the assigned portfolio to support the achievement of operational and strategic objectives of the clinical program and consistent with the mission, vision, and values of IH.
- Ensures the development and implementation of an effective recruiting, performance review, and performance enhancement strategy, growth, and development of select personnel and succession planning within the service areas.
- Identifies potential leaders and provides support and assistance to those individuals to address career goals.
- Administers collective agreements and represents the employer in the grievance process, on various union/management committees, and during essential service situations.
- Analyses current trends and data in the assigned areas of responsibility relating to the provision of accessible, comprehensive, efficient, and effective service/care. This includes sick time, overtime, casual utilization, WCB, turnover, staff mix, vacation utilization, and vacancies.
- Maintains a positive and productive work environment respecting the value of an interdisciplinary team approach to the provision of health services. Promotes the creation of a quality work environment.
- Identifies the educational needs of staff in the provision of direct patient care. Ensures the appropriate mechanisms are in place to support staff in the provision of quality patient care. Communicates with educational personnel regarding identified needs and collaboratively plans the opportunities for professional development.
Represents Patient Care Services and the assigned clinical areas on a variety of internal and external committees as required.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Nursing. A Master’s degree in a health-related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 7 to 10 years of recent, related acute care experience with 3 years in a management/administrative position.
- Current practicing membership with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to guide individuals and groups while maintaining group cohesion, motivation, commitment, and effectiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively introduce and manage change that is consistent with the vision, purpose, and operating principles of IH.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement, manage, and evaluate programs.
- Excellent negotiation skills to relate effectively with clients, medical staff, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to define own continuing education needs and maintain competency through reading literature, management workshops, seminars, and available educational offerings.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.