Registered Nurse - Emergency Department
Req ID: 4009
Location: Eastern Cape Breton Regional Hospital
Department: 3000592 EMERGENCY- REG
Type of Employment: Regular Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 5 position(s)
Union Status: Nursing NSNU Nursing
Posting Closing Date: 04-July-18
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Please note that the incentives are only available to successful applicants outside the Cape Breton Regional Municipality. Successful Candidates are eligible for a $5000 lump sum payment upon signing, subject to a two (2) year Return of Service agreement with the Emergency Department at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital. Candidates will also be eligible for a relocation allowance of up to $2500 if relocating from within Nova Scotia and up to $5000 if relocating from outside Nova Scotia, for approved expenses with original receipts provided.
If you have questions regarding this posting please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Cape Breton Regional Hospital serves the city of Sydney and it’s immediate surrounding area as a primary and secondary care facility. This department handles approximately 45,000 patient visits per year; with 2/3 a visit being CTAS level 1-3, and accepts both pediatric and adult emergencies. We serve as the trauma referral center for the Cape Breton area, with access to most specialties. Department core staff consists of Physicians, RN’s, Clerical, Environmental Services, Porters, Continuing Care Assistants, Social Work, OT/PT as well as a large multidisciplinary team within the zone. There is 24/7 access to Lab, D.I. and RT.
Reporting to the Departmental Manager, the Registered Nurse is a health professional who, through the nursing process and therapeutic relationship, assists clients and families to attain/maintain an optimal health status. The Staff Nurse is also responsible for the overall planning and delivery of nursing care. (S)he practices within the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia, CRNNS Standards of Nursing Practice for Registered Nurses and the Canadian Nurses Association Code of Ethics, providing guidance and leadership to peers and other staff; working in a collaborative relationship with colleagues, unit staff, students and members of various related health disciplines.
You may be required to work at various locations within the Cape Breton Regional Municipality including the Glace Bay Healthcare Complex & Northside General Hospital.
- Registered with the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia.
- CPR Certification or BCLS –C.
- ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support).
- ENP (Emergency Nurse Program) or CCNP (Critical Care Nursing Program) is preferred and three (3) years’ recent Emergency Department experience
- If above not available three (3) years’ experience in a critical care area within the last six (6) years and completion of the ENP program or willingness to enroll in the next available course.
- PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) or ENPC (Emergency Nurses Pediatric Course)
- TNCC (Trauma Nursing Core Course) preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Evidence of ongoing relevant education.
- Demonstrated good interpersonal skills, and ability to maintain good relationships with patients/residents, families and co-workers.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Willingness to do ambulance transports.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
Frequent physical demands include extensive standing and walking, bending, lifting, pulling and pushing, transferring and transporting patients / clients and equipment. Must be able to function in a potential high stress environment of a health care organization at either the primary, secondary or tertiary level.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Regular Full-Time 1.0 FTE; 75 hours bi-weekly.
$32.8441 - $38.6964 hourly
$40.0507 with 25 years experience
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful applicants will be required to submit a criminal record check and assume any associated costs, as a condition of employment.
This is a Nursing NSNU Nursing Unit Position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions
The Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment.
Only online applications are accepted.