MANAGER OF ELDERS CARE HOME
MANAGER OF ELDERS CARE HOME
Mikisew Cree First Nation (MCFN) is currently seeking a Manager for its Elder Care Home to join the Team in Fort Chipewyan Alberta.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Manager of the Elder’s Care Home is the senior personnel of the Home. He or she is directly responsible to the CEO for the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of all aspects of the program and the provision of services to the Elders who are residents.
The Manager is responsible for the management of all Elder Care Home employees and ensuring that the residents receive quality care. The Manager’s key responsibilities include, resident safety, facilities management, communications, program planning and evaluation, budget and resource management and quality assurance. A key function of the Manager of the Elders Care Home is to ensure that all of the activities and services are delivered in a manner, which is consistent with the Fort Chipewyan Elders Care Home philosophy, mission, mandate, and values. This position is based in Ft. Chipewyan Alberta.
The Manager of the Elders Care Home is responsible for the recruitment, supervision and evaluation of the Nurses, Health Care Aides, Personal Care Aides, other Care workers, as well as the dietary and housekeeping personnel.
Program Planning and Evaluation
- Advocate for the residents.
- Meet with personnel as required on a regular basis to monitor program and resident outcomes, evaluate all aspects of the operation and assess and plan for the future.
- Work with the personnel to provide assistance and direction to the employees in the provision of resident care to ensure the delivery of efficient, effective and safe client care and resident outcomes.
- Work with the personnel as required to plan and implement programs and services that will facilitate optimal utilization of the available financial, technical, and human.
- Prepare and revise as necessary all resident care program policies and procedures and program descriptions and ensure that all personnel adhere to the same.
- Establish standards of care and professionalism with the personnel in accordance with the relevant legislation, accreditation standards and accepted standards of professionalism and care.
- Meet with the Residents Committee on a regular basis.
- Liaise with the personnel, the residents, and their families and care providers as required to identify outstanding issues or concerns and implement any corrective action that is required.
- Ensure that all resident records and medical files are maintained in an accurate manner and stored in a secure space.
- Develop and implement the necessary procedures to ensure that resident and staff confidentiality is maintained at all times consistent with the appropriate legislative, professional, and organizational policies.
- Review and update the communicable disease and pandemic plan as needed.
- Review and update as needed, the Fire, Disaster and Evacuation Plans for the Elders Care Home and ensure that all staff are properly trained in and adhere to the same.
- Ensure that staff is properly trained in and able to use all resident care equipment, kitchen, laundry and other housekeeping equipment as required.
- Ensure that all staff are properly trained in and adhere to Workplace Safety and Health Regulations and Policies, Infection Control Guidelines, and WHMIS and Safe Work Procedures.
- Investigate any workplace accidents, mishaps, unsafe acts, near misses, incidents, illnesses or injuries involving the residents and/or staff, prepare and submit all reports/forms as required in the relevant legislation, standards and policies and take whatever corrective actions are required.
- Ensure that all medications and medical equipment and supplies are stored in a secure space.
FINANCIAL and HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Recruit, supervise, evaluate and manage all employees. This function will be carried out for the Nurses, Personal Care Aides, Health Care Aides and other members of the Care Team.
- Prepare and revise as necessary the organizational structure and all job descriptions.
- Establish standards of care and training needs for all staff to ensure the employees are delivering care to the residents in a safe and competent manner.
- Complete the probationary and annual performance evaluations for all staff and prepare professional development and educational plans for the employees.
- Approve all requests for annual leave, sick leave, professional development and other types of leave or benefits in accordance with policy and ensure that accurate records of the leave balances for all staff are maintained in an accurate manner.
- Conduct regular staff meetings and training sessions as required and ensure that the minutes are accurate and available to the employees.
- Prepare monthly financial and statistical reports.
- Project monthly and annual revenues and expenditures.
- Analyze and monitor all financial operations including reviewing variance reports and making budget corrections as required.
- Review and approve all accounts receivable and payable.
- Prepare and revise all policies and procedure as required relating to housekeeping, grounds keeping, maintenance, dietary services and the kitchen, laundry, and cleaning services and scheduling and ensure that all staff are properly oriented and adhere to them as required.
- Ensure that personnel who are appropriately trained attend to any repairs or maintenance requirements in a timely and effective manner.
- Ensure that the facility is maintained in a safe and attractive manner at all time.
- Liaise with and encourage effective working relationships with other stakeholders including the Mikisew Cree First Nation, community stakeholders, Health Canada, Nunee Health Authority, and Alberta Health Services as requested by the Board of Directors.
- Promote effective communication to the staff, residents, their families, other agencies and stakeholders, and the general public about the programs and services available through the Fort Chipewyan Elders Care Home.
- Represent the Elders Care Home in public forums.
- Work to ensure that all staff maintain a current knowledge of trends and issues within the field of health care and recommend changes in standards. policies and procedures, equipment, and programs and services as appropriate.
- Conduct annual audits and implement changes identified in the audit findings.
- Monitor and analyze quality assurance data and work with personnel to identify solutions or improvements as required.
- Review relevant occurrences and ensures appropriate follow-up as required.
- Support research initiatives to enhance resident care and outcomes.
QUALIFICATIONS WE SEEK:
- A Registered Nurse with a minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience in supportive or assisted living and/or health care management. A Baccalaureate or Master’s Degree is preferred with certification as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Current registration or eligibility to be registered with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta.
- Previous demonstrated experience in working in a First Nation community with First Nation persons is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with community stakeholders.
- Demonstrated participatory management style and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of Woodland Cree First Nation culture and traditions and Woodland Cree language desirable but not required.
- Superior leadership, team building, negotiation, conflict resolution and problem-solving skills.
- Strong administrative background specifically as it relates to planning and quality assurance including audits.
- Previous Management experience and an ability to prioritize.
- Demonstrated sound judgement, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Experience in managing human resources in complex environment, strategic planning, financial management and administrative skills.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license and current clear criminal record check.
If you feel you have the demonstrated background and you meet the qualifications as listed above and are interested in learning more about this exciting opportunity, please submit a cover letter, current resume with dates specified, a photocopy of education [diploma/certificate], a list of three current references with phone numbers to:
Deadline for Applications: April 22, 2021
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.