- Northern Health
- Prince Rupert, BC
- Job Category
- Healthcare Services and Wellness, Nursing/Healthcare
- Job Type
- Challenge yourself by joining a remote community and make a difference!
- Be part of a unique company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
- A rewarding role for an experienced Registered Nurse!
About the Organization
Northern Health delivers health care services to over 300,000 people living in the northern half of British Columbia. With more than 7,000 health care workers, our facilities include over 24 hospitals, 14 long-term care facilities, many public units and offices providing specialized services.
At Northern Health, we encourage career development while still maintaining a work and life balance. Whether through continuing education courses or in-house training and management programs, there is always room to grow. Our friendly and supportive culture is the steady force that connects us and keeps us focused on providing exceptional health services for Northern communities.
As the largest hospital in Northwest, BC, Prince Rupert Regional Hospital is an established hub of health care services for the area. If this sounds like an environment you could thrive within, then we want to hear from you.
For more information, please visit our website.
Living in Prince Rupert
Can you imagine finishing a day at work with a relaxing meditation session in the forest? Maybe you would prefer to be out on the water kayaking or fishing? If you are looking for a more peaceful life or always pictured yourself living in a local community, Prince Rupert is the perfect place to establish a new career and lifestyle.
This friendly community of 12,000, with its small-town aesthetic charm, cosmopolitan culture, municipal amenities and diverse population, is ideally situated on BC’s picturesque North Coast. Not far from the Haida Gwaii and Ketchikan, Alaska, Prince Rupert is accessible year-round by air, rail, cruise ship, ferry, or road.
Set against a visually stunning backdrop where the mountains meet the sea, Prince Rupert offers a unique and exciting wilderness experience. With enough attractions to please any outdoor enthusiast, Prince Rupert also boasts superb museums and a thriving performing arts community.
About the Opportunity
Northern Health is seeking a highly motivated Head Nurse to join our team in Prince Rupert, BC, on a full-time basis.
In this role, you'll provide leadership in the provision of clinical expertise of all staff in the Operation Room and Sterile Processing Unit while following the standards of professional practice and code of ethics as outlined by the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM). Reporting to the Director of Nursing, you will also be responsible for identifying, planning, implementing and evaluating the nursing care required to assist patients in their needs.
Some of your key responsibilities within this role will include:
- Ensuring consistency in the nursing practice by following the practice standards of the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia.
- Monitoring compliance with current Operating Room standards.
- Supervising staff members in their application of direct care and patient teaching.
- Coordinating individualistic patient care based on current policies and procedures.
- Providing guidance and instruction to the nursing and medical staff, families and patients regarding care for surgical/clinic/endoscopy patients.
- Implementing policies and procedures for nursing and medical staff.
- Holding regular patient-centred conferences, in-services, and staff meetings.
- Using the nursing process to assess patient needs.
- Assisting with staff orientation on the unit.
- Completing performance assessments and implementing the Attendance Management Program.
- Scheduling and optimizing staff coordination, equipment and other resources.
- Interacting with the multidisciplinary care team.
- Ensuring patient records are reflective of care provided and documentation standards are met.
- Preparing reports and submitting relevant data to appropriate departments.
- Guaranteeing staff and physician awareness of infection control standards and adherence to universal precautions.
- Developing unit budget(s) in consultation with the Director of Care and providing input into the budgetary process, including variance analysis.
- Approving all leaves and ensures availability of appropriate coverage.
- Reporting concerns and needs to the Director of Care and follows up on issues as needed.
More About You
In order to qualify for this role, you will have a current registration with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives as a practicing RN registrant, combined with 5 years of recent experience in an Operating room and Surgical Services. This related experience would include a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory role. You’ll also join us with a Peri-Operative Certificate as well as a current BCLS Level C certification. Please note that an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered, however you will need to be part of the British Columbia Nurses' Union.
As our ideal candidate for this role, you'll be well-versed in multi-tasking, prioritizing projects in emergency situations, and guiding others to ensure both patients and team members' well-being. Your ability to manage surgical, recovery and endoscopy care needs along with your clinical, teaching and management skills will ensure your success in this role.
Above all, you’ll have strong verbal and written communication skills to deal effectively with patients, their families, coworkers, physicians, and community agency representatives, in a courteous and clear manner.
About the Benefits
In return for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a competitive salary along with the following benefits:
- 4 weeks of vacation on joining.
- Relocation assistance.
- Frequent social events such as our summer BBQ.
- The opportunity to work with a collaborative and friendly team.
This is your chance to be part of a dynamic community where you will have the opportunity to make your mark for the better of all.
Are you ready to build a career with an organization that wants to see you succeed? Apply to join Northern Health today!