The Chronic Disease Nurse Educator integrates in-depth clinical expertise, experience and knowledge with the principles of teaching and learning, in the provision of chronic disease self-care management for clients, families, health professionals and students. This is a part-time position which takes the lead role in respiratory and stroke client education for Meadow Lake and area.
The Chronic Disease Nurse Educator also supports other chronic Disease Program areas including coverage for cardiac education and the Strides program.
- Bachelor Degree in Nursing
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Registered or eligible for registration with the Saskatchewan Registered Nurses’ Association (SRNA)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions
- Ability to competently use computers and software applications as required by the position
- Ability to develop and deliver formal education programs
- Ability to develop, evaluate and modify programming provided to clients
- Advanced communication skills
- Assessment skills
- Communication skills to transfer knowledge/skills
- Facilitation skills
- A valid driver’s license.
- Must have obtained one or more of the following chronic Disease Management certifications prior to employment:
- Pulmonary Educator with national certification such as CAE (Certified Asthma Educator) or CRE (Certified Respiratory Educator) designation. Have written a national respiratory – Asthma & COPD – educator certification exam; or,
- CNA Certification in Cardiovascular Nursing (C) Canada or equivalent; or,
If there are no qualified candidates, the Employer is willing to consider senior candidates who are willing to obtain the required qualifications within 18 months.
- Requires a minimum of three years’ experience in the areas of diabetes, cardiovascular, stroke and pulmonary diseases.
- Demonstrated evidence of interpersonal communication skills for individual and group interaction. Evidence of skill in teaching patients/families and individually and in a group setting.
- Computer skills - familiarity with word, excel and power point. Current CPR certification and registered basic life support.
- Regular travel will be involved with this position.
This is a regional position currently based out of Meadow Lake.
Field Hours – evenings and weekends may be required.