Healthy Albertans. Healthy Communities. Together.
Discover unique cultures and witness the beautiful glow of the northern lights. Pleasant summer days and midnight sunsets make working in Northern Alberta as a Travel Nurse a truly unforgettable experience.
Explore new opportunities for Registered Nurses and Psychiatric Nurses to work in Alberta Health Services (AHS) North Zone. The RN/RPN Locum Program provides the opportunity to work in short term assignments in a variety of practice settings including acute care, emergency, intensive care, operating room, obstetrics, pediatrics, continuing care, home care, public health, and psychiatry.
This position offers additional incentives, including:
- A premium payment of $6.00 per hour for hours worked.
- Reimbursement for travel costs/per diem expenses and accommodations provided by AHS.
Successful candidates will:
- Be responsible for the assessment, implementation, and evaluation of nursing interventions for a diverse patient population.
- Be responsible for collaboration as a member of the health care team.
- Be able to balance numerous demands and conflicting priorities.
- Have a proven ability to work independently (i.e. sole charge) or within a multi-disciplinary team environment to effectively contribute to client care planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Be available for a minimum of 3 week assignments.
Negotiable to all sites within the AHS North Zone.
- Active or eligible for registration and practice permit with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA).
- Graduation from an approved nursing education program.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support - Healthcare Provider (BCLS-HCP).
- A minimum of one year recent nursing experience in at least one of the following departments: Acute Care, Emergency, Intensive Care, Operating Room, Obstetrics, Continuing Care, Home Care, Public Health and Psychiatry.
- 2 to 3 years of recent nursing experience.
- Experience working in a rural setting.
- A Driver's license and vehicle may be required for some assignments.
- Other specializations would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
- Nursing standards/protocols as required in area of nursing specialty related to the job assignment.
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team environment and to effectively contribute to the client care planning processes and improvement in service delivery.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to adapt communication style to meet the needs of specific clients and to relay client information to physicians, who may be geographically removed, in a concise, and accurate manner in order to facilitate the physician's treatment decisions.
- Assessment skills to recognize and respond appropriately to client change in status.
- Critical thinking and judgment skills.
- Specialized training may be required depending on locum location.
About Alberta Health Services:
Alberta Health Services (AHS), the largest health care provider in the country, is an organization focused on providing safe, high-quality, patient- and family-centred care. We achieve this with our workforce of more than 108,000 employees, 7,700 medical staff and 15,600 volunteers who are dedicated to serving a population of 4.1 million Albertans.
AHS CARES represents our five core values in action. These values, compassion, accountability, respect, excellence, and safety, are at the heart of everything we do. They inspire, empower, and guide how we work together with patients, clients, families, and each other. At AHS, we are living our values. Together.