Healthy Albertans. Healthy Communities. Together.
Fort McMurray (within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo) is a thriving community with lively social, arts, recreational and cultural opportunities. Located in the heart of Canada’s boreal forest with lakes and rivers nearby, along with four provincial parks in the area, it offers a stunning landscape. Fort McMurray is a family-forward city, offering work-life balance and great education to all ages. Within Fort McMurray, you’ll discover a flourishing community with a range of clubs and associations, churches, community service organizations.
As the Unit Manager for the Inpatient Surgical Unit, under the direction of the Director, Patient Care, you will be responsible for providing leadership to an interdisciplinary team of healthcare professionals dedicated to providing leading care to Albertans. Your leadership, direction and organization of the unit will be in support of the vision, mission and business plan of Alberta Health Services. You will be making key decisions and establishing and contributing to the achievements and goals of the Surgical Program at the Northern Lights Regional Health Centre.
As the Unit Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with key stakeholders,
- Facilitating change management, promoting team development, teamwork and coordinating staffing and clinical work as identified by the Director within the services area, and
- Developing and maintaining an effective framework for the operations of the patient care service in order to facilitate the delivery of efficient, effective and safe patient care.
All Non-Union/Exempt positions are being reviewed for possible inclusions in the AUPE General Support Services bargaining unit. If this position is impacted, the incumbent will be notified accordingly.
In addition to a competitive rate of pay, AHS currently has a Fort McMurray Allowance in place to an annual maximum of $12,480. This allowance is non-pensionable and is payable on an hourly basis for all hours paid at the basic rate of pay.
- A minimum of a baccalaureate degree in Nursing
- Active registration and practice permit with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA)
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience within the last five (5) in a leadership role with experience in surgery and/or acute care.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience within the last ten (10) years in the following units: General Surgery, General Medicine, Combined Med/Surg, Acute Care, Sub-Acute, etc.)
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered.
- Master’s degree in Nursing or related healthcare field
- A demonstrated clear pattern of professional and personal development
- Competent computer skills.
- Leadership skills, emphasizing organization, delegation and managing change.
- Effective communicator with strong organizational skills, influential skills, client-focused orientation and commitment to providing quality care.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team member and make decisions in a complex interdisciplinary environment.
- Ability to manage human, financial and physical resources within an operating environment.
- Ability to foster partnerships to achieve organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to manage change and create innovative solutions for complex and diverse issues.
- Effective leadership abilities combined with a strong commitment to operating within a team environment and the ability to motivate and inspire others to achieve common goals.
Please visit https://careers.albertahealthservices.ca/ and search for job requisition # ALB00002453