We are seeking a Director, Nursing and Professional Practice to lead the advancement of Nursing and Professional Practice and to implement the IWK’s Nursing Strategic Plan and Professional Practice Strategic Plan, in alignment with ‘Aspire’, the IWK’s Strategic Plan. http://www.iwk.nshealth.ca/iwk-strategic-plan
The Director, Nursing and Professional Practice is responsible for strategic planning, implementation and leadership for Nursing and Interprofessional Practice at the IWK Health Centre. The Director will lead implementation of the IWK’s Nursing Strategy and Professional Practice Strategy, ensuring alignment with the IWK’s strategic plan ASPIRE. The Director will lead and oversee nursing and professional practice development at the IWK Health Centre. The Director will provide leadership to Managers, Professional Practice Leaders and Advanced Practice Nurses and will represent Nursing and Professional Practice perspectives in decision-making forums in the organization and at a provincial and national level.
The Director, Nursing and Professional Practice serves as an organizational leader, responsible to work across teams, portfolios and sectors with Directors, Managers, Physician Leaders, Professional Practice Leaders and provincial colleagues, to create practice environments that support excellence in patient and family centred care, and quality, safety and professional practice. Care and professional practice are based on the principles of Patient and Family Centred Care, trauma informed and culturally safe care throughout the IWK Health Centre and across our community-based programs and services.
The Director, Nursing and Professional Practice partners with Interdisciplinary Research, the Quality and System Performance team and organizational leaders, to develop networks that foster evidence-based care, supporting clinicians to integrate evidence into practice. In an environment focused on sustainable health care, the Director provides leadership and on-going contributions to the implementation of LEAN methodologies across the organization, in patient care and service environments to optimize scopes of practice, improve the processes that support timely access to care and reduce waste. Tracking of progress to objectives and targets are key aspects of the role.
The Director identifies and addresses professional and interprofessional practice issues that relate to more than one discipline, while ensuring that professionals are knowledgeable about, and practice within professional standards, codes of ethics, and relevant legislation. The Director takes a leadership role in centre-wide initiatives as appropriate. Some of these initiatives may include, but are not restricted to, areas such as: workforce planning, performance management, strategic work, etc.
The health professional groups include Nursing, Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Clinical Nutrition, Pharmacy, Respiratory Therapy, Orthoptics, Child Life, School Services, Social Work, Physiotherapy, Spiritual Care, Recreation Therapy, Genetic Counselling and Midwifery. If you’re interested in directing our Nursing and Professional Practice environment - all in support of delivering the best care to patients and families - we would like to hear from you.
We are specifically searching for:
- Degree in Nursing combined with Masters level preparation in Nursing,Health Administration or related subjects Minimum five (5) years management in health care field
- Seven (7) or more years of progressive experience in clinical practice in an acute care organization
- Registered Nurse, or eligible for full registration with the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
- Demonstrated health care leadership and management experience
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to professional practice education in an academic, acute care environment \
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in developing and maintaining strategic partnerships
- Willing to pursue cross appointment with Dalhousie University, Faculty of Health Professions and Faculty of Inter-professional Education
- Experience and training in cultural competence
- Professional affiliation with a recognized academic organization
To express interest in this position, please apply to through our site at: https://jobs.nshealth.ca.
Please Note: If you are an employee of the IWK Health Centre, please apply through the internal careers page. Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the closing date