Community Mental Health Nurse
Government of Yukon -> Health & Social Services - Community Health, Mental Health
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Salary: $75,674 - $87,366 per annum
Closing date: May 25, 2017
If you’re a Registered Nurse looking for an opportunity to make a difference by applying your mental health nursing skills, our Community Health team needs you.
Reporting to the Manager of Mental Health Services, you will be responsible for conducting mental health assessments as well as developing and implementing treatment plans to clients with serious, persistent mental illnesses, in Whitehorse and several other smaller communities in rural Yukon. When handling cases in rural Yukon, you will work collaboratively with Community Health Centres and Mental Health Support Workers residing in communities where there are identified clients with serious, persistent mental illness, to deliver treatment plans. Additional clinical roles in rural Yukon include providing counselling and support to clients who do not have a serious, persistent mental illness, but who require a clinical intervention.
This position involves playing a significant consultant and educator role, providing direction to professionals and the public about mental health-related topics. As a Community Mental Health Nurse, you’ll also participate in the training of other human service providers and in the overall planning of mental health services in Yukon Territory.
To find out why we are one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, or to find out more about us, Yukon life and our programs, please follow this link: http://www.employment.gov.yk.ca/index.html
This competition is for one (1) full-time position, working 75 hours bi-weekly in Whitehorse.
It will also be used for anticipatory full-time and part-time permanent positions, full-time and part-time terms, as well as auxiliary-on-call positions in Yukon communities.
For more information about this position, please contact Marie Fast, Manager of Mental Health Services, at Marie.Fast@gov.yk.ca.
If you would like information on this recruitment and selection process, please contact Steve Fecteau, Human Resources Consultant, at Steve.Fecteau@gov.yk.ca.
- Current registration with a Canadian registered nursing regulatory authority with coursework in mental health and/or a psychiatric nursing degree/diploma;
- Experience in providing assessment, treatment, and support services to clients with serious mental illnesses;
- Experience in providing assessment and counselling to individuals who present with a range of mental health presentations and other issues (i.e. depression, anxiety, substance use problems, relationship issues, etc.).
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
- Strong knowledge and experience in nursing best practices and standards;
- Ability to provide direction and deliver services in a competent, safe and ethical manner;
- Excellent oral and written communication, analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills;
- Excellent ability to initiate relationships with clients, their families and other health professionals;
- Ability to provide clear information and direction to clients with serious mental health illnesses;
- Ability to work autonomously as well as within a multi-disciplinary team that is spread out over several rural communities.
Conditions of Employment: Vulnerable Sector RCMP Security Clearance; TB screen; valid Yukon Class 5 Driver’s Licence; and current registration with the Yukon Registered Nurses Association.
Job requirements: Willingness to travel extensively, up to as much as 50% of the time. Overnight travel is a regular and expected part of this position, in order to provide the service to clients in smaller communities.
We are the Yukon public service. Every day, we come together to serve the people who live here, and to make a difference in so many ways—from simple to extraordinary and everything in between. Here, you will find the diverse opportunities you desire to develop your career while enjoying a warm sense of community and vibrant artistic, cultural and recreational amenities, all set in a spectacular natural environment.
How to Apply
To apply for the position of Community Mental Health Nurse, and for full details on the requirements of the role, please visit: http://employment.gov.yk.ca.
"Committed to Employment Equity"