The University of Calgary in Qatar is currently seeking a Dean and CEO. Reporting to the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) at the University of Calgary, the Ministry of Education of the State of Qatar and to the Joint Oversight Board (JOB), the Dean & CEO of UCQ (the Dean) is the executive head of the campus, charged with overseeing its academic and administrative operations. This is a renewable Senior Leadership Appointment.
The Dean is responsible for the strategic development of UCQ in a manner that builds and enhances the reputation of the UCQ and the State of Qatar. The Dean is the chief spokesperson for UCQ and has a particular concern for effective, consultative, and mutually supportive relationships with senior representatives within the State of Qatar, its medical institutions, the local nursing profession, and other post-secondary institutions in Qatar. Among the Dean's other priorities are the promotion of the nursing profession, health and wellness in Qatar, fostering the engagement of faculty and staff in creating a culture of student success, and leading the faculty as it moves into its next phase of development, which will focus on capacity building in Qatar.
An outstanding communicator, the candidate is able to develop positive relationships at all levels of the institution, and functions with confidence and ease, especially under pressure. This person is decisive but also a team player who develops staff and encourages an open and collaborative approach to achieving goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. They will also be able to function at a high level in different cultural environments.
The University of Calgary in Qatar offers a positive, family centered work environment in a country with one of the world's strongest economies. The State of Qatar provides a safe living environment and its location presents countless opportunities to travel and explore. This is truly an opportunity not to be missed - an adventure of a lifetime.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Must have a Ph.D. in a relevant field, Canadian professional nurse registration, university teaching experience, and a record of successful administrative leadership in a nursing Faculty.
- Previous international experience, experience representing the nursing profession to multiple and diverse stakeholder groups including government and institutional, familiarity with approval and accreditation processes and/or knowledge of the University of Calgary nursing programs would be distinct assets.
- This role requires the individual to be open to experiencing new cultures and have a commitment to excellence in international post-secondary education.
- Has a demonstrated ability to lead change, inspire and engage faculty, students, staff, administrators and community partners in innovative strategic initiatives.
- Is a strong and clear communicator with strong public speaking skills and an executive presence who has built trust through integrity, openness and transparency.
- Displays an ability to operate effectively within a shared-governance structure and cultivates an inclusive environment in which students, faculty and staff feel a shared sense of community.
- Has the ability to work and negotiate with government bodies and has a demonstrated ability to build relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrates superior leadership, administration, coaching and mentoring skills with the ability to delegate effectively.
The appointment will preferably commence on July 1, 2017 or sooner.
Candidates are asked to submit a curriculum vitae and statement of interest by February 6, 2017 to:
Executive Director, Office of the Provost
Applications will be reviewed as received.
The University of Calgary believes that a respectful workplace, equal opportunity and building a diverse workforce contribute to the richness of the environment for teaching, learning and research, and provide faculty, staff, students and the public with a university that reflects the society it serves. At the time of your application, please answer the following question: Are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada? (Yes/No)