We are currently seeking:
Registered Nurses (RNs) and Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) – Palliative Care (Durham Region)
(Full-time and part-time positions)
This role will provide and coordinate home health nursing services in Palliative and End-of-Life Care to individuals, families and groups according to the College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards, the policies and procedures, best practice requirements of VHA and the Standards of Practice in Community Health Nursing.
Join one of our newly Integrated Palliative Care Teams – working in Scarborough or Durham Region. By providing seamless care focusing on what matters most to our clients and their families, the interdisciplinary teams will enhance the quality of care of palliative clients with an emphasis on effective symptom and pain management to improve overall quality of life.
Key Skills, Experience and Behaviours Required for this Position:
- Current certificate of competency (licensure) from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS certificate (RN); diploma (RPN)
- Ideal candidates will have “Fundamentals of Palliative Care” (MoH). In addition they will have, CNA certification in Hospice Palliative Care Nursing OR are actively pursuing Enhanced Fundamentals and the Comprehensive Palliative Education Program (CAPCE). Preference will be given to candidates with an Undergraduate Degree in Nursing/Nursing Science
- Membership with RNAO an asset
- Minimum of 2-years of experience, in the past 5-years in hospice/palliative care essential; with preference given to candidates whose palliative experience has been in a community setting
- Strong clinical practices with ability to champion evidence-based best practices – particularly in pain and symptom management and end-of-life care
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and problem-solve complex clinical situations and psycho-social circumstances in providing or managing the care of palliative clients’ across the continuum of end-of-life care
- Ability to recognize, assess and treat end-of-life care emergencies and psychosocial distress
- Able to recognize safety issues, follow safe work practices, advocate for client care and safety concerns
- Ability to practice nursing in accordance with client/family-centred care principles in establishing authentic/empathetic professional relationships with clients and families, understanding and documenting client/family preferences and goals, advocating for clients/families
- Ability to collaborate with other members of the health care team to access required services and to ensure smooth transitions
- Demonstrated ability to use knowledge-transfer techniques to support practice delegation.
- Demonstrated commitment to modelling lifelong learning and professional growth
- Valid driver’s license and use of a car on the job (required for those working in the Durham Region; may be required for those working in Scarborough area)
How to Apply: Please visit www.vha.ca
Our online application will allow you to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and working-environment fit, and should take about 10–15 minutes to complete. You can also get a copy of your personality assessment when you’re done by logging back into the tool after you complete your application.
VHA Home HealthCare is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. If you require any accommodation in the application process, please contact us with the “Need Help” button in the button in the application or contact us in advance.
Thank you to everyone who applies. We will review applications as they are received. We will only be contacting those selected for further discussion.